I have been receiving a Birchbox subscription for nearly a year now. It is the UK’s number one beauty box subscription which is tailored to the subscriber’s skin, hair and style. Five beauty products are sent every month allowing you to discover new products. It always has at least one full-size product. I have seen many reviews of the Birchbox and they are always saying very fluffy things, singing the products praises and which I do not feel are very real. Some of the products are amazing and some are not. So, here’s my honest review of what I received this month…
You go girl
March is the month of women and celebrating how great we are and how far we have come. The caption that came with the box says, “Whether you are juggling career ladder climbing and an active social life or balancing frantic school runs with looming deadlines, us ladies are pretty incredible. This month, we are leaning into multitasking made and celebrating the beauty products that will help make your busy life a little easier, whatever this crazy world throws at us, you go girl!.”
The Beauty Crop
A bronzer compact to create a sun-kissed glow all year round. Apparently, it has green tea in it to energise and refresh skin and is designed to last all day. Is this just marketing bollocks? I do not think any ‘minerals’ in my make-up makes it better, but is a perk. My compact came in Sardina Sand and is £8 RRP.
Pro’s – easy to apply, subtle shimmer finish, cruelty-free brand
Con’s – too dark for pale skin (can be built up for darker skin tones), expensive for the small size
Something I was very interested in, a clear eyebrow defining gel. This is something that has been in my make-up bag since 1998 and I have tried so many over the years, but keep going back to the clear mascara by Collection 2000. Unfortunately, this product will not be replacing it, it wasn’t awful but did not tame the thinner part of my eyebrows in the way I like. It RRP’s at £15.50.
Pro’s – light non-sticky texture
Con’s – price (I would never pay £15.50 for this!!!), not long lasting which they claim – it only lasted a few hours on the finer hairs
The detoxifying clay mask is supposed to be the next big thing. Using charcoal to reduce oil and the appearance of pores. You apply a thin layer and leave for 10 minutes before rinsing off in warm water. It retails at £28.50.
Pro’s – skin felt clean and was left smooth and bright
Con’s – it’s supposed to boost hydration but my face felt stiff and dry even after using a moisturiser. It dries very quickly so you need to be quick to get an even layer. It is also messy, leaving your sink looking like a miner has finished work for the day. Again, it is very expensive.
A thirst quenching serum that retails for £29. It is 97% natural which leaves you wondering what the fake 3% is? It is supposed to restore the skin’s balance when applied morning and night and can be used as a base for make-up.
Pro’s – light refreshing fragrance
Con’s – quite wet and takes a few minutes to soak in. I have dry skin and it was not rich enough for me. Too expensive again!
A brand that I am familiar with and love. The coconut oil conditioning shampoo is sulphate free and has been designed to give a much need umph to dry or distressed hair. It’s RRP is £4.49 and it is ethically and sustainably sourced.
Pro’s – lightweight, hydrating, leaves hair soft and shiny and smelling great. The price is perfect too.
Con’s – as it is so moisturising, my roots became greasy on day 2 after washing (nothing a bit of dry shampoo couldn’t fix).
The multi-award perfume range is well known and the fragrance in my box was ‘scent of a dream’. It blends lemon, peach, black pepper, jasmine, tuberose, violet and amber. Apparently, it is love at first scent – if you want to smell like your 90-year-old nan! It retails at £49.
Pro’s – I can’t think of any
Con’s – the smell
What are your thoughts?
Have you tried any of these products or did you get this month’s Birchbox? Do my pro’s and con’s match yours?