Like so many in lockdown, I spent more time baking. However, cooking from scratch has been a priority for me for some time, along with trying to stay in shape. My easy blueberry biscuit recipe takes minutes to prepare, and the sweet treat will be ready in 15 minutes.
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something through any of my links, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Get ready to make some berry awesomeness. I created this best blueberry biscuit recipe, which are bursting with natural sweetness, with a little hint of lemon for freshness. It is so easy to do, non-bakers will be able to ace it the first time, and is also good fun for baking with children.
So, what will you need to make the homemade blueberry biscuit recipe? Of course, an oven is essential, and it is always recommended that you pre-heat it before you start assembling the ingredients.
- Kitchen weighing scales
- 2 baking tins
- Parchment paper or greaseproof paper
- Hand whisk
- Wooden spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Citrus zester or fine grater
Alternatives to parchment or grease-proof paper
Admittedly, parchment and greaseproof paper is versatile and easy to use, but did you know it can not be recycled? As it is treated in production, to give it high stability and heat resistance, it is not compostable.
The best alternative is a baking mat, which is re-useable. They are available in various sizes, and the non-surface means you do not need to use oil or cooking sprays. The best bit, they are so easy to clean with a warm cloth or soapy water.
Blueberry Biscuits Recipe UK
- 75g of butter or low-fat spread
- 5 tablespoons or caster sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 175g self-raising flour
- Zest of a lemon
- 150g of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 180 or gas mark 4
- Line 2 baking tins with the parchment or greaseproof paper (or baking mats)
- Cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl until the mixture comes together and is pale yellow, light and fluffy. This usually takes 1-2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and beat again
- Add the flour and lemon zest and mix together
- Add the blueberries, and stir them in with a wooden spoon
- Using a tablespoon, put the mixture onto the baking sheets. Make sure there is space around the mix as it will expand when in the oven.
- Put the trays in the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until golden
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy
Slimming World friendly
I follow Slimming World*, and these biscuits are definitely ideal for a healthy eating lifestyle. The biscuits work out at 4 Syns each (if using the low-fat spread). The lemon blueberry biscuit recipe is perfect with that afternoon cup of tea or coffee.
* The blueberry biscuit recipe from scratch is in no way connected, affiliated or endorsed by Slimming World. Every effort has been made to give you the correct Syns and information, but I would encourage you to double check these for yourself.